Wellington (New Zealand), Feb. 28 : The New Zealand cricket squad for the first three one day internationals (ODI) against India announced today features the return of Jacob Oram, Jesse Ryder and Kyle Mills, all of who were out of the squad with different injuries.
Ewen Thompson and Nathan McCullum from the Twenty20 squad have been omitted.
Stuff. co. nz quoted selection panel chairman Glenn Turner as saying that the squad was a strong one, which reflected the sizeable pool of players in consistent good form at international and domestic levels.
The selectors had decided not to include a second spinner in the initial ODI squad, Turner said.
Wellington, Feb 28: Sir Edmund Hillary's home of more than 50 years is on the market.
Hillary was the first man to conquer the world''s highest mountain, and his house will be opened to the public for the first time at a charity open home tomorrow.
Sir Ed died in January last year, and his house was built in 1957, reports The NZPA.
The house in Remuera Rd was to be auctioned on March 18 and had a valuation of 1.9 million dollars.
Wellington, Feb. 27: Sixty-one from 47 balls against Australia and 56 not out from 49 balls against India on Wednesday night might sound reasonable, but Kiwi wicketkeeper batsman Brendon McCullum has been virtually anonymous at the crease, partly it has to be said due to a lack of strike.
New Zealand coach Andy Moles cannot predict how McCullum will bat tonight, but confirmed he was not under instructions to play second fiddle to anyone.
Wellington - The New Zealand government would consider subsidizing a day off every two weeks for workers to try to save jobs as the international recession bites, Prime Minister John Key said Friday.
The idea of factory hands working only nine days every two weeks was debated by business leaders at a job summit organized by the centre-right government to consider ways to handle rising unemployment as critical export income falls.
Under the scheme, the government would pay for workers to undergo training or do community work on the 10th day.
Canterbury (New Zealand), Feb. 26 : Former New Zealand fast bowler Shane Bond will not play this year's Champions League Twenty20 tournament.
Arguably the standout performer of Canterbury's march to the State Twenty20 final against Otago, Bond's contract with the Delhi Giants means he will not be permitted to play in the Champions event, should Canterbury win and then the winner of Sunday's match be invited.
Unlike Chris Harris, whose differing contract with the Hyderabad Heroes meant he was not eligible to play for Canterbury at all during the State Twenty20, Bond has been.
Wellington - Air New Zealand announced Thursday a 79-per- cent slump in after-tax profits for the six months ending December 31, after what chairman John Palmer said was one of the toughest periods airlines had ever faced.
The airline, which is 76 per cent owned by the government, reported net profits of 24 million New Zealand dollars (12.24 million US dollars) for the half-year.
Palmer cited the unprecedented price of fuel, which rose 36 per cent on the same period in 2007, adding 211 million New Zealand dollars to costs of running the airline.